【TED演讲稿】为什么艺术是带来希望的工具

来源: 哔哩哔哩2023-05-26 10:58:25
  

TED演讲者:JR / JR

演讲标题:Why art is a tool for hope / 为什么艺术是带来希望的工具

内容概要:Famed for enormous black-and-white portraits that are pasted on surfaces ranging from the Louvre to the US-Mexico border wall, multimedia artist JR continues to tackle ambitious projects. In this powerfully moving talk, he shares how he made a giant mural on the courtyard floor of a maximum-security prison -- with the help of guards and prisoners alike -- and ended up with much more than a compelling image.


(相关资料图)

成名于巨型黑白画像,贴在从卢浮宫到美墨边境,多媒体艺术家 JR 继续进行雄心勃勃的项目。在这个有力的感人演讲中,他分享了他是怎么在一所高强度安全监狱的院子里——在囚犯和警卫的帮助下——做了一个巨大的贴画,而且最终得到的不仅仅是一个引人注目的图片。

*******************************************

【1】Wow, wow, people.

哇,哇,这么多人。

【2】You know, actually, I love people because my work is about people.

你知道吗,其实,我喜欢人们, 因为我的工作就是关于大家的,

【3】It's actually about bringing people together.

我的事业致力于将大家团结起来。

【4】I'm an artist.

我是一位艺术家,

【5】I mean, until I found a real job, but now it looks like it's getting pretty serious.

我是说,在我找到正式工作前, 但现在看来 我这份事业好像越来越像样了。

【6】But, you know, I also love walls.

但是,你知道吗,我也喜欢墙。

【7】And I know that walls are supposed to divide us, but I think I've found a way to use walls to bring us together.

我知道墙壁原本是 为了将我们分开而存在, 但我想我找到了一个方法 去用墙壁来让我们走到一起。

【8】And I've tried this in different places.

我还在其他的地方试了这个方法。

【9】This was in Israel, Palestine, 15 years ago, where, with my friend Marco, I took photos of Israeli and Palestinian doing the same job and then pasted them on Israeli city and Palestinian city, and people couldn't even recognize who is who.

这堵墙位于以色列, 巴勒斯坦,15年前, 在那里,与我的朋友马可一起, 我拍下了以色列和巴勒斯坦人 在做同样的工作, 而后将这些照片张贴在 以色列和巴勒斯坦的城市里, 人们根本分别不出彼此的身份。

【10】This was in the favelas of Brazil.

这是巴西的贫民窟。

【11】Faces of women on the hills of the community.

一张张女性的面孔 在社区的山坡上清晰可见。

【12】Often the first target of the violence that is happening there.

她们往往是那里发生 暴力事件的首要目标。

【13】This is a local museum we have in Paris, it's called the Louvre.

这是巴黎当地的博物馆, 它叫卢浮宫。

【14】I don't know if you've heard about it, but I thought I'd give it a shout out.

我不知道各位有没有听说过, 但我觉得我得再宣传下。

【15】And with 400 people and paper and glue, we wheat-pasted the entire plazas to make the pyramid ten times bigger.

与四百人一起用纸和胶水, 我们将整个广场贴了起来, 让那个金字塔看起来大了十倍。

【16】This was at the border between Mexico and US.

这是美国和墨西哥的边境。

【17】Thank you.

谢谢。

【18】Kikito, the little kid, is one year old, and he lives in the little house you see on the top left of the image.

基基托,这个孩子,一岁大, 他住在图片左上方的那个小房子里。

【19】I just wonder, at his age, what is his perspective on the wall?

我在想,以他年龄的视角 是怎么看这堵墙的?

【20】You know, each time I do a project, I wonder: Can art change the world?

你们知道吗,每次我做一个项目, 我都在想:艺术可以改变世界吗?

【21】And I never really know how a projects starts.

而且我从来不知道 一个项目是怎么开始的。

【22】Couple years ago, I was making breakfast and a friend of mine called me.

几年前,我在做早饭, 一个朋友给我打了电话。

【23】Friend Saul, he says, "JR, you love walls.

我的朋友索罗, 他说:“JR,你喜欢墙。

【24】Why don't you do a project in prison?"

要不去监狱里做个项目?”

【25】I was like, you know, I was just, "Dude, you know, I would do it, but it's too much paperwork administrative, bureaucracy.

我是这样的, “伙计,你知道的,我会去做, 但是太多文书工作, 关于行政和政府。

【26】Plus, I've been arrested 15 times, they don't want me in there."

还有,我已经被捕 15 次了, 他们不会让我进去的。”

【27】And he was like, "I know, bro, but you love walls so much, what you would do in there.

而后他说:“我知道,伙计, 但你那么喜欢墙, 你在里面会做什么呢。

【28】If you could do it, what could you do?"

假如说你可以去做, 你会做些什么呢?”

【29】I was like, "OK, you know what?"

我是这么想的:“好吧,你知道吗?”

【30】I had an idea.

我有一个点子。

【31】If I wanted to finish my poached eggs and my, you know, French toast before it gets cold, I had to get rid of him.

如果我想在我的荷包蛋 和法式吐司冷掉前,吃完它们, 我一定得把我这位朋友打发了。

【32】So I told him, "You know what, I'll paste the entire prison."

所以我告诉他:“你想知道吗, 我要将整个监狱贴满。”

【33】He was like, "Wow, that's amazing."

他说:“哇,了不起的主意。”

【34】He hung up the phone, I thought I'd never hear from him for two decades.

他挂了电话, 我想当然 他二十年都不会联系我了。

【35】He called his friend Scott, who was like, "What's up?"

他打电话给他的朋友斯科特, “怎么了?”

【36】Saul is like, "I spoke to JR, he's down to do a project in prison."

索罗说:“我和 JR 说过了, 他同意去监狱做一个项目。”

【37】Scott's like, "That's amazing, let me call the governor."

斯科特说:“太棒了, 让我给州长打个电话。”

【38】Hung up the phone, called the governor.

他挂掉电话,打给州长。

【39】Governor was like, "Who's this JR?"

州长这么说的:“JR 是谁?”

【40】'"He does black and white, and, you know, he takes photos of people, he records their story ..."

“他做黑白艺术, 还有,你知道的,他给别人照相, 他记录他们的故事......”

【41】'"I'm sorry, I've never heard of it."

“抱歉,从来没有听说过他。”

【42】'"Yes, there's very large murals."

“好吧,就是做很大的壁画。”

【43】And the governor was like, "Wait, wait, wait.

而后州长说:“等等等等。”

【44】Before I was the governor, I was in a mural.

在我当州长前, 我在一个壁画里。

【45】There were 1,300 people, each one of them recorded their story, and I was one of them.

那里有 1300 人, 每个人都记录下了 他们的故事,我就是其中一员。

【46】Is that the same artist?"

这是同一个艺术家吗?

【47】The guy said, "Yes, that's the same artist."

那个人就说:“是的, 就是同一个艺术家。“

【48】'"Give him full clearance for every prison in the state of California."

”给他加利福尼亚州 所有监狱的完全许可。”

【49】Calls me back.

电话打回给我。

【50】Next thing you know, I'm on Google Earth, and there's 35 prisons.

下一件事,我在谷歌地球上, 而后那有35个监狱。

【51】I'm looking at them and I'm like, well, first of all, I'm a wallpaper man.

我在开它们然后我在想 好吧,首先,我是一个贴墙纸的人。

【52】I cannot paste if I don't have my clear surface.

我不能贴,如果没有找到 一个干净的表面。

【53】So that doesn't work, that doesn't work, that doesn't work.

所以这个不行, 这个不行,这个不行。

【54】The yard is made of sand and grass.

院子是沙子和草做的,

【55】I cannot do it.

我做不了。

【56】I know nothing about prisons.

我根本不了解监狱。

【57】So then I see this one and I'm like, "Wait, can we zoom in this one?"

所以当我看到这个监狱时我说, “等等,我们可以把这个放大吗?”

【58】I'm like, "Oh, actually, you know what?

我说:“噢,其实,你知道吗?

【59】The yard here in the center looks like it's concrete.

这个在中间的院子 看起来像水泥。

【60】I could work on that."

我可以在这试试。”

【61】'"Look, JR, that's a supermax security prison."

听着,JR, 那是一个高级警戒的监狱。

【62】It's called Tehachapi, it's actually in the top five of the most violent prisons.

称作特哈查比(Tehachapi), 它其实全美第五危险的监狱。

【63】I was like, "That will do it."

然后我说:“那没问题。”

【64】The next day, we flew there.

第二天,我们飞到那里。

【65】We arrived there, and of course, you know, it's not that easy to get there.

我们到了那里, 而且,当然,你知道的, 进去不简单。

【66】It's like fences, electric fences, walls.

它有栅栏、电围栏、墙。

【67】And you add more walls and more people that check your IDs.

而后你加上更多的墙 和更多检查你证件的人。

【68】I get all the way to the yard.

我一直走到了到院子里,

【69】And it looked like some army guy with bulletproof jackets and heavily armed who say, "Alright, this is going to be very simple.

而后看起来是一个军人 全副武装和穿着防弹夹克。 他说,“好的,这事很简单。

【70】There's some people waiting for you in a gymnasium.

有些人在体育馆里等你,

【71】We gathered some inmates.

我们召集了一些囚犯。

【72】You cannot approach them, you cannot touch them.

你不可以靠近他们, 你不可以触碰他们。

【73】You can sit at the chair that we designed for you, and we're going to surround the area of the gymnasium."

你可以坐在我们 给你指定的椅子上, 而后我们会包围整个体育馆。”

【74】That sounds fun.

这听起来很有趣。

【75】I enter the room, and we do this thing in France, I don't know if you have that, but you shake people's hand, you know?

我进入房间, 然后我们在法国做这件事, 我不知道你们有没有, 但你和别人握手,知道吗?

【76】So I started shaking people's hands, "Hello, how are you? My name is JR.

所以我开始和别人握手, “嗨,你好吗?我叫 JR 。

【77】What's your name?"

你叫什么名字?”

【78】And go around the table, and then I sat.

绕过桌子,然后我坐了下来,

【79】And I spoke with them.

然后我跟他们讲了话。

【80】A lot of them have been there since they were teenagers, some of them even from the age of 13.

他们有很多人 从少年时代就在里面了, 有些 13 岁就进来了。

【81】And I've never seen anything like it.

我从来没见过那种场面,

【82】And so I told them about my art and about the idea.

所以我向他们 介绍了我的艺术和想法,

【83】And they asked me a question, they said, "But what is the purpose of your art?"

然后他们问了我一个问题: “但你的艺术有什么意义吗?”

【84】Well, you know, that's a good question.

这是个好问题。

【85】I don't know if I can answer before, you know, trying a project.

我不知道我是否能在尝试 这个项目之前就给你答案,

【86】So I explained them an idea, and I said, "Wait, before we start anything, I just want you to know, if there's anyone here in this room that by being in this project, you might offend some of your victims outside,

所以我给他们解释了想法,我说, “等下,在我们开始之前, 我想你们知道, 如果这个房间里有任何人, 在做这个项目的时候, 会冒犯到你的受害者,

【87】I'm not your guy.

那么我不建议你参与,

【88】I'm going to get too much attention for you.

我会给你招来太多的关注。

【89】If I were you, don't participate in this project."

如果我是你, 我不会参加这个项目。”

【90】Six or seven guys stood up and left the room.

六七个人站了起来, 然后离开了房间。

【91】I was like, "Alright."

我说:“好的。”

【92】So we kept on going and I started photographing them.

然后我们继续进行, 我开始给他们照相。

【93】Very simple, it's just a small part of the process.

很简单,这只是过程中 很小的一部分。

【94】I'm not really a photographer.

我不是一个真正的摄影师,

【95】That's just one part that I use, and I get to meet them and talk with them.

那只是我艺术的一部分, 而且我能见到他们并与他们说话。

【96】And each of them started explaining me their story, where they grew up, where they come from, how many years, some of them spent decades in this prison.

然后他们每个人都开始 向我解释他们的故事。 他们在哪里长大的, 他们是从哪里来的, 在这个监狱里呆了多少年, 有的人呆了好几十年。

【97】And the thing is that, I told them, I said, "Look, this photo is nothing.

事情是这样的, 我告诉他们,我说, “其实,这个照片不代表什么。

【98】I need you to go in the next room.

我需要你到旁边的房间了。

【99】I'm going to leave a mic there.

我会把一个麦克风放在那里,

【100】And I want you to record your story from the beginning.

然后我希望 你从头录下你的故事。”

【101】I want to understand, you have to talk like, if you're throwing a bottle in the ocean, I want to understand where you come from.

我想要了解, 你必须像, 往海里丢一个漂流瓶一样, 我想要了解你是从哪来的。

【102】And then what brought you to make that crime that led you to prison.

而后什么导致你犯了罪, 结果导致你进了监狱。

【103】And if you changed, explain how you changed and why."

然后如果你有所改变, 解释你怎么改变的和为什么。”

【104】They all went, some stayed for 10 minutes, some stayed for 20, 30 minutes.

他们都讲了,有的呆了十分钟, 有的呆了20、30分钟。

【105】Some of them were crying in that place.

有的人在那里哭了。

【106】Then I went back to my studio and that's what we do.

然后我回到了我的工作室, 然后我们是这么做的。

【107】We print strips of paper like a giant puzzle, so we have to combine it together.

我们打印出长条的纸, 像一个巨大的拼图, 所以我们要把它们拼到一起。

【108】It's all just paper and glue.

都只是纸和胶水。

【109】And then we combine them by numbers, and then we went back there.

然后我们用数字把他们组合到一起, 然后我们回到了那里。

【110】And we started bringing everybody in the yard.

我开始把所有人都带到院子里,

【111】And we started pasting.

而后我们开始贴。

【112】Everyone from every gang, every race, participated.

所有人从每个帮派, 每个种族,都参加了。

【113】Now, the thing is, we're still in a supermax security prison.

现在,事情是这样的, 我们还是在一个高度警戒的监狱。

【114】So the guards were like, "Look, we love you with your paper and stuff, but we're going to count everything you brought in, and we're going to make sure you leave with everything out.

所以那些守卫说, “听着,我们喜欢你, 还有你的纸啊什么的, 但你带来在这么多东西 要把我们逼疯了, 我们得保证你走的时候, 把所有的东西都带出去。

【115】So every hour we're going to stop this whole project and make sure there's not one scissors missing, one brush, one, you know, bucket, anything."

所以每个小时,我们会暂停整个项目 来确保没有任何一个剪刀失踪, 任何一个刷子,你知道的, 一个桶,所有的东西。”

【116】So we went through the process, and I had planned two to three days to paste the whole thing.

我们继续这个过程, 我计划用两到三天时间 来贴整个东西。

【117】Those guys were so motivated, that in literally two or three hours we had done it.

这些人十分有动力, 在只有两到三个小时, 他们就干完了。

【118】So I said, "Wait, stop, guys, they're going to bring you back to your cell, give me a second.

所以我说,:“大家等等,停下, 他们会把你们带回牢房, 给我一秒。

【119】I'm going to try to get some guards to paste with us."

我去试试能不能叫警卫一起来贴。”

【120】And they were like, look, "We love utopianism and stuff, but that's where it stops."

然后他们说, 我们喜欢乌托邦主义, 但到此为止吧。”

【121】'"No, just give me a second."

“不,给我一秒钟。”

【122】So I start going to the guards and I say, "Hey, do you mind participating?"

所以我往守卫那里走,然后我说 “嗨,你们介意参加吗?”

【123】Fifty "no," one guy said "yes."

五十个“不”,和一个“好”。

【124】I say, "Cool, come with me.

我说,“好的,跟我来。

【125】They're going to show you."

他们会告诉你怎么做。”

【126】And then another guard and another guard.

然后警卫一个接着一个。

【127】And that's where the real walls were falling down, because there's no communication between those guards and the inmates.

然后那一刻真正的墙开始瓦解, 因为在警卫和囚犯间没有交流。

【128】And you know what?

还有你知道吗?

【129】From the floor, it was so big we couldn't see it anyway.

在地上,它太大了, 我们根本看不见,

【130】You had to send a drone.

我们得用一个无人机。

【131】So remember, again, you're in a supermax security prison.

而且记住, 我们还在一个高度警戒监狱,

【132】It's geofencing.

它是禁飞的。

【133】So we send in the drone, those guys have never seen a drone their whole life, they were more excited about the drone than the whole project.

所以我们送出了无人机, 这些家伙医生中都没有见过无人机, 比起整个项目他们对无人机更激动。

【134】And I was so scared because I was like, "I hope we did the puzzle right.

而且我很害怕因为, 我希望我们拼对了拼图,

【135】Because if not, it's going to look a bit ugly from up there."

因为如果没有的话, 从上面看会有些难看。

【136】And that's what you see from up there.

这是你从上面看到的。

【137】Thank you.

谢谢。

【138】The whole yard, all their faces.

整个院子,都是他们的脸。

【139】And when you zoom in, actually, you see the picnic table, you can still see, it looks like a hole, but it's actually an illusion.

当年放大时,其实, 你可以看见野餐桌子。 你还看得见,他看起来像一个洞, 但它其实是一个错觉,

【140】And you see the guys walking on it.

然后你看见有人在上面走。

【141】Now, the craziest part of all of it is because of that crazy permit that I had, I literally walked in without being searched.

最疯狂的事情是 因为我有这个疯狂的许可, 我要看直接走进去而不必被搜查。

【142】I had my phone on me.

我有我的手机,

【143】So I started filming in there and posting it on social media.

所以我开始录像 然后把它们放到社交媒体上,

【144】So this guy there was showing me his tattoo on day one.

这个人从第一天起 就向我展示了他的纹身。

【145】And then the evening, he called his family and they said, "We saw you on JR's Instagram.

然后那天晚上,他给他家里打电话, 而后他的家人说, “我们 JR 的 Instagram 上看到你了。

【146】It's incredible, we see what you guys are doing."

太不可思议了, 我们看到你们在做什么。”

【147】He was so proud the next day he said, "JR, do you mind me showing my diplomas?"

他很自豪,第二天他说, “JR ,你介意 展示一下我的毕业证书吗?”

【148】They started realizing the impact of suddenly having a connection with the outside.

他们忽然开始意识到 他们能与外界 产生联系。

【149】Then this guy showed up.

而后这个人来了,

【150】His name is Kevin.

他的名字叫凯文。

【151】You know, when I saw him, I was like, "Whoa."

你知道吗,当我看都他的时候 我在想,“天啊。”

【152】In my life, I'll never have a second chance to ask a guy, hopefully, why he has a fucking swastika on his face.

在我的一生里,我希望我不会有 第二次机会去问一个人, 为什么他的脸上有一个纳粹标志。

【153】And so I ask him, and he was like, "Oh, this?"

然后我问他, 然后他说,“哦,这个?”,

【154】Almost like he forgot about it.

好像他忘了一样。

【155】He was like, "I did this as a gang thing when I went in prison.

他说:“当我刚进监狱时, 我加入一个帮派纹的。

【156】But now, if I could, I would remove it."

但现在,如果我可以, 我想把它去掉。”

【157】I was like, "OK, do you mind if I take a photo and I share it?"

我说:“好的,你介意 我照张照片然后分享一下吗?”

【158】He's like, "Yeah, sure."

他说:“耶,好的。”

【159】I share that photo.

我分享了那张照片。

【160】Now, as you can imagine, on social media, a lot of people were as shocked and offended as I was.

当然,你可以想象,在社交媒体, 很多人像我一样很震惊 和被冒犯到。

【161】But a lot of people were like, "That's strange, because that doesn't connect with the beauty in his eyes and the humanity in him."

但有很多人会说:“很奇怪, 因为他的纹身 配不上他眼中的美好, 和他的人性。”

【162】So I went back to him and I said, "Look, Kevin, there's this thing called social media.

所以我回到他那 然后我说:“听着,凯文, 有这个东西叫社交媒体。

【163】I know you've been here too long and you don't know about this, but people are writing comments, I'm going to read them to you.

我知道你在监狱了太长时间 你不知道这个, 但是很多人给我写评论,我把它们都读给你。

【164】And I think some of them you should answer.

而且我想你应该回答一些问题。

【165】So we started talking, and I did many and many videos and asking him again and again, and he responded and he went deeper and deeper.

所以我们开始交谈, 而且我拍了很多视频, 然后问了他一遍又一遍, 然后他回答了, 而且他说得越来越深入。

【166】And it started a chain of people who were like, "Let's get this tattoo out of his face."

然后有一连串的人开始说: “让我们把他脸上的纹身去掉。”

【167】So now before we revealed the image that you saw, I didn't want to throw it to the world like that.

现在,在我们展示照片前, 我不想把它像这样放到世界里。

【168】For now, only the inmates and I have seen it.

现在,只有犯人和我能看见。

【169】We started an app where you can actually go in, it's totally free, and you can go and click on any face and hear their story for as much as they want.

我们做了一个 APP,你可以登进去, 它是完全免费的, 而且你可以点击 任何一张脸来听他们的故事, 想听多少都可以。

【170】I wonder, you know, I've seen it.

我在想,你知道,我看见过。

【171】I saw people telling me that they heard story, and like a podcast.

我看到很多人告诉我, 他们听过故事,像一个广播电台。

【172】But I wonder, how would they feel about it?

但是我想,他们会怎么想呢?

【173】You know, I wanted the feedback from them.

你知道,我想他们的反馈。

【174】So I got a permit to go back into prison.

所以我拿到了回到监狱的许可。

【175】And this time I said, let me work on some more walls, I'll find an idea.

这次我说,让我再在墙上做些工作, 我会找到一个点子。

【176】So I go back in there and I started working on the walls, but it was really, the excuse was like, I need to speak to you guys.

所以我回到那里 然后我开始在墙上做工作, 但实际上,这是个借口, 我需要跟那些人说话。

【177】So I said, "What happened, guys?"

所以我说:“发生什么事了,各位?”

【178】They were like, "Well, what do you mean, what happened?"

他们说:“你什么意思,发生了什么事?”

【179】I was like, "I was on the outside, I couldn't speak to you guys.

我说:“我在外面,我不能和你们说话。

【180】What was the impact inside?"

在里面有什么影响吗?”

【181】'"Oh, the impact inside is pretty simple.

“哦,在里面的影响挺简单的。

【182】Let me tell you for myself, I mean, my daughter never visited me in 14 years.

让我讲一下我自己, 我女儿十四年来从来没有见过我。

【183】And now she sat in her bedroom, and she listened to my audio, and now she sees me every week."

然后现在她坐在她的卧室, 而且在听我的音频。 现在她每周来看我。”

【184】He says, "You can ask whoever you want of those guys here, and they'll tell you the same story."

他说,:“你可以问 任何一个你想问的人, 然后他们都会告诉你同样的故事。”

【185】And he told me another thing happened.

而后他还告诉我另一件事情发生了。

【186】'"Is that the guards started listening to our stories.

“守卫开始听我们的故事,

【187】They treat us differently now."

他们对待我不同了。”

【188】Then we started seeing the walls falling down.

我们开始看见墙开始倒塌了。

【189】So I left a little souvenir in the courtyard.

所以我留下了一个 小小的纪念品。

【190】I was like, "Let me make one more wall disappear before I go."

我说:“让我在走之前 再让一堵墙消失。”

【191】So we pasted the mountains from behind the wall on the wall.

所以我开始在“墙外墙”上贴了座山,

【192】And it's still there, actually.

而且它其实还在那。

【193】This one is still in level four, which is the supermax security prison.

这还是在那个级别四, 就是一个高级警戒的监狱。

【194】And they told me in winter it becomes all snowy.

而且他们告诉我在冬天会下雪,

【195】And so you actually don't tell the difference between the reality and the wall.

所以你看不出 墙和现实的差别。

【196】Now, Kevin was still in prison, so I visited him again.

现在,凯文还在监狱里, 所以我又去拜访他。

【197】And something had changed in him.

然后他有些改变。

【198】He was already helping others, and, you know, you could tell that he almost had forgotten about his tattoo, even if it was still there, because you cannot remove tattoos in prison.

他总是在帮助其他人, 而且,你知道,你可以看得出, 他基本已经忘了他的纹身, 尽管它还在那, 因为在监狱里不能去掉纹身。

【199】So I bought him a book, and I told him, "Look, there's a swastika on the cover, I thought you would like it."

所以我给他买了一本书, 然后我告诉他: “看这上面有纳粹标志, 我认为你会喜欢它。”

【200】And he laughed.

然后他笑了。

【201】But I said, "No, seriously, this is our friend, Art Spiegelman, who wrote it, and he told the story about his family in the Holocaust."

但我说:“不,真的, 这个我的朋友, 阿特.斯皮格曼 (Art Spiegelman)写的, 他讲了他和他的家庭在 大屠杀中的故事。”

【202】And so that night he went and read the book.

然后那天晚上他去读了那本书,

【203】And he was really moved.

他十分感动。

【204】He called his mom and he said, "Mom, those French people brought me this book that talks about the Holocaust."

他给他的母亲打了电话,说, “妈妈,那些法国人给我买了本书, 讲述大屠杀的。”

【205】And she said, "But you stupid moron.

而后她说:“但是你个白痴。

【206】Your family was from Poland.

你家人来自波兰,

【207】They were hiding Jews.

他们帮助犹太人逃难,

【208】They died in Auschwitz because of protecting them.

他们因保护犹太人死在了奥斯威辛,

【209】And you go in prison and do this on your face?"

然后你进了监狱, 还在你的脸上纹了这个?”

【210】He was in shock.

他很震惊。

【211】Couple years later, which is a couple months ago, he came out.

几年后,也就是几个月前, 他出狱了。

【212】Like many others from the project, almost all of them got moved to a lower-security prison, and one third of them got freed because of having good grades and notes by the guards after the project.

像其他做这个项目的人, 几乎所有人都被换到 低警戒的监狱, 他们中三分之一都出狱了, 因为他们表现良好, 还有警卫在做完项目后 给予的评价。

【213】So Kevin went out, and the first thing he did was to go up that hill that he looked at for 17 years, to look down at the prison that he was staying in.

所以凯文出来了, 然后他做的第一件事情 就是爬到他看了 17 年的山上, 来看他呆的监狱。

【214】And then the second thing, as I promised him, I took him to a doctor to remove his tattoo.

然后第二件事,我答应他的, 我带他去了一个医生 去去除他的纹身。

【215】And the session started with the laser, and it's very painful.

开始的时候用的激光, 而且很痛苦。

【216】And at the end of it, the doctor removed the laser and she told him, "Well, who's better than a Jewish doctor to remove your swastika?"

在结束的时候,医生拿开了 激光然后说, “还有谁比一个犹太医生更好 来清除你的纳粹标志呢?”

【217】And that's him now.

这是他现在。

【218】You know, we really tried to bring him here.

你知道吗,我们想把他带过来。

【219】But his parole officer, who is actually really nice, he said "JR, you're pushing too much.

但是他的假释官,一个很好的人, 他说,“JR,你做得够多了。

【220】He's not going to Canada.

他不会去加拿大的。

【221】Sorry about this."

抱歉。”

【222】But he knows I'm here talking about it.

但他知道我在这里讲他。

【223】You know, I want to use art as a bridge to make people talk to each other.

你知道,我想用艺术作为桥廊 去让大家一起交流。

【224】I'm not an activist, I'm just an artist.

我不是一个积极分子, 我只是一个艺术家。

【225】I don't try to tell people what to think.

我不会告诉大家怎么去想,

【226】I just try to make them think.

我只想让他们去想。

【227】And I really see art, to me, it's like, it's in the process.

而且我看艺术, 对于我而言,它是存在于过程之中。

【228】That's what's important.

那才是最重要的。

【229】And after this whole project, after everything I showed you, what shook them, what struck them the most, is that I shook their hand.

在整个项目后, 在我展示给你们的所以东西后, 最让他们惊讶的, 让他们牢牢记住的, 是我握了他们的手。

【230】So at the end, they even asked me for a hug.

所以到最后,他们甚至 问我要一个拥抱。

【231】Now I remember their first question, which was: What is the purpose of your art?

现在我想起了 他们问我的第一个问题: 你的艺术有什么意义?

【232】Well, art can change things, but can it change the world?

艺术可以改变很多东西, 但它可以改变世界吗?

【233】Or can it change a man?

或者它可以改变一个人吗?

【234】Before you answer that question, think, at some point in your life, have you changed?

在你回答之前, 想一想,在你一生间, 你改变过吗?

【235】And if yes, if you did, why can't they?

如果你的答案是肯定, 如果你改变了, 那么为什么他们不行呢?

【236】Thank you.

谢谢。

【237】Helen Walters: That's amazing, you're amazing.

海伦.沃尔特(Helen Walters): 这真棒,你真棒。

【238】You also just got back from Ukraine, and I wanted to show us just another piece of your work.

你还刚从乌克兰回来, 然后我想展示一下你的另一个作品。

【239】JR: Oh yeah, that was in Ukraine.

JR:噢是的,那是在乌克兰。

【240】The biggest city in the west side of Ukraine is called Lviv.

在乌克兰西边最大的城市叫利沃夫。

【241】And a friend of mine took that photo at the border, he sent it to me, I printed it 150 feet long.

我的一个朋友在边界 照了一张照片, 他把它发给我了, 我把它打出来 150 英尺。

【242】We rolled it as a tarp, walked through the border with it.

我们把它卷了起来, 然后走过了边境。

【243】It's actually easy to go that way, you know, to enter Ukraine.

其实过去很简单, 你知道,进到乌克兰。

【244】So they were like, "Oh, you're going to go this way? Sure."

他们就是这样的: “噢,你要往这边走?好的。”

【245】And then we drove to, you know, I met some people on Instagram, and they came and picked me up in their car.

然后我们开到,你知道, 我在 Instagram 上见到了一些人。 然后他们来 用他们的车来接我,

【246】And then we gathered hundreds of people.

然后我们聚集了几百人。

【247】We wanted to show Putin's planes who they were shooting out.

我们想向普京的飞机展示 他们在瞄准谁。

【248】That little girl is actually safe.

这个小女孩实际上很安全,

【249】When she got photographed, she was coming out of the country.

她是在离开国家时照的相,

【250】So she's now in Warsaw, and she's OK.

所以她现在在华沙,她很好。

【251】And since then, actually, we're moving this image all around Europe.

从那时开始,其实, 我们将整个图片带到欧洲各地。

【252】So while TED was happening in the last four days, the image was in Berlin, Dusseldorf, Venice this morning.

所以在 TED 进行时, 在过去四天里, 这个图片在柏林、杜塞尔多夫, 这个早上在威尼斯。

【253】And then it will keep traveling and each time, each place, people are gathering by themselves and opening it up.

而且它会继续旅行, 然后每时每刻,每个地方, 大家会主动聚集,然后将它展开。

【254】HW: That is amazing, JR, thank you.

HW:这很棒,JR,谢谢你。

【255】JR: Thank you.

JR:谢谢大家。

关键词:

责任编辑:sdnew003

相关新闻

版权与免责声明:

1 本网注明“来源:×××”(非商业周刊网)的作品,均转载自其它媒体,转载目的在于传递更多信息,并不代表本网赞同其观点和对其真实性负责,本网不承担此类稿件侵权行为的连带责任。

2 在本网的新闻页面或BBS上进行跟帖或发表言论者,文责自负。

3 相关信息并未经过本网站证实,不对您构成任何投资建议,据此操作,风险自担。

4 如涉及作品内容、版权等其它问题,请在30日内同本网联系。